Travel & Hosting Application
Follow these directions carefully!
Save your completed application file like this:
Here are examples. Gurley.FR.2017
Abbreviations: GE, SP, NI, JO, FR, CH, PH
If you are applying for more than one delegation, list in order of preference.
EMAIL your completed application to email@example.com
If you do not follow these directions, you take the risk of your application getting lost and not being considered. You will receive a brief email confirming receipt. See Mrs. Gurley if you do not receive a confirmation email.
The Selection Process:
After the Selection Process:
- A committee of three teachers will read the applications and select the delegates.
- Applicants need a minimum GPA of 3.0 with no Ds or Es on the most recent report card.
- Attendance, discipline, community service and cultural records are considered.
- Additional factors considered in the selection process include study habits, maturity, leadership, ability to interact with others, ability to adapt to new situations, responsibility, honesty, respect for others, motivation, and curiosity.
- Applicants must be physically fit, emotionally stable, and mature and responsible enough to participate in a rigorous, daily schedule.
- Preference will be given to students studying the language of the travel destination.
- Preference will be given to students who have not traveled with a GSWLA exchange program.
After the Selection Process:
- A parent meeting will be scheduled after the delegation has been announced.
- A $300 deposit is required at the first parent meeting. Deposits are refundable until airline tickets have been purchased.
- Delegates will need to submit a 2 x 2 photo if a Visa is required.
- Delegates must apply for a passport. The passport is needed before airline tickets are purchased. Applying during the summer is highly recommended.
- Delegates are required to attend study sessions with their chaperone in advance of the travel.
- Each delegate will need to create a presentation for the partner school in advance of the travel. Topics will be determined during study sessions.
- Delegates must communicate with all teachers and use the Homework Trip Planner to make a plan for completing missed work.
- Delegates are expected to represent the Global Studies and World Languages Academy, Tallwood High School, and Virginia Beach City Public Schools in the highest degree of integrity and follow all rules of the GSWLA and VBCPS Code of Conduct.
- Discipline infractions will result in consequences upon return, as required by VBCPS and the Academy Admissions Agreement.
- Delegates are expected to collaborate as a team and respect the leadership of the chaperone, as well as follow any house rules of the host family.
- Delegates are expected to follow dress codes as discussed by the chaperones. Err on the side of dressing to a higher standard and more conservatively than you might need to dress at Tallwood High School.
- Delegates are expected to communicate with teachers and complete assignments while traveling, when possible.
- Student delegates are expected to be ambassadors and share information about their travel experiences.
- Thank your host family and stay connected to your new friends.
- Attend post-travel meeting with chaperones and review travel evaluation.
- Delegates are expected to communicate with teachers and complete all missed assignments within an agreed upon time with teachers.
- For GSWLA classes, delegates are expected to complete GSWLA Travel assignment.
- There will be free time on the weekends for hosts and guests to plan activities together.
- There will be day trips to Virginia Beach and surrounding cities. Host students will be able to participate in one A day and one B day fieldtrip.
- All fieldtrip costs for visiting students will be covered.
- When possible, all fieldtrip costs will be covered for hosting students.
- Do not plan any activities that require you to sign a liability waiver releasing the provider of responsibility due to injury.
- If an emergency occurs, contact the GSWLA coordinator and the delegation chaperone.
Do not cover any medical expenses. Medical expenses are the responsibility of the visiting chaperone.
- See this website for additional information including Student Homework Trip Planner and GSWLA Student Traveler Assignment. http://gswla.weebly.com/index.html
- Travel dates are subject to change or cancellation.
- This application will be forwarded to host families of the travel destination.
- School missed during the exchange is noted in the school record as ACTIVITY and does not count as an absence.
- Every effort is made to hold the cost of travel to airfare and spending money.
- Students earn 8 cultural events for traveling and 4 cultural events for hosting.
Your teacher will complete this evaluation after your travel. Should you decide to apply for a second delegation, this evaluation will be attached to your application.